With Earth Day celebration in session, The Ground Up’s Mark Bowen joined ABC 13’s Tom Koch this morning to talk backyard composting. With 30+ years of hands-on experience, Mark has made a huge impact at TGU since his arrival. Here are Mark’s Top 10 Back Yard Compost Tips!
1) Use 1 cubic yard (3’x3’x3’) bins.
2) Choose open air style wire mesh bins for optimal air flow.
3) Use the formula of 80% Brown (carbon rich) to 20% Green (nitrogen rich) ingredients. Avoid meat & dairy.
4) Leaves & chopped up (to 2”) plant trimmings work well for Brown & veggie/fruit scraps & coffee grinds for Green ingredients.
5) Ideally turn the pile at lest monthly.
6) If the pile seems dry, water it with non-chlorinated water like rainwater.
7) If the pile becomes too fragrant, add 20% more Brown ingredients and turn.
8) Your compost pile should be ready for use in 4-6 months or longer if conditions are less ideal.
9) Consider topdressing struggling lawn areas with a 1/2” layer of compost.
10) Putting down a 1/2” layer of compost in beds before mulching will help improve soil quality.
For composting class info: www.codegreenhouston.org